8 Things To Do in Covent GardenAugust 29, 2018
It looks like all roads lead to Covent Garden; it is the center of London life. You’ll find theaters, museums and shopping galore, quaint and romantic restaurants amidst the cobblestone streets. You will love it!
With literally hundreds of things to see and do in Covent Garden, deciding where to start can be a challenge. This list of Covent Garden’s top eight to-do’s will help get you going:
1. Start at the Covent Garden Piazza and enjoy remarkable, free entertainment from street performers, browse through shops, and explore the wares and fares inside the Market Building. The traffic-free, cobblestone square adds a true, authentic and engaging Covent Garden touch.
2. Shop your heart out in stores like Apple and Fred Perry, and be sure to swing down Floral Street for a quality selection of popular menswear labels like Paul Smith.
3. Visit London’s Royal Opera House to catch world-class performances by companies like the Royal Opera and Royal Ballet. Take a backstage tour for an extra-memorable experience of the gorgeous auditorium. The National Gallery should not be missed. Beautiful and historic art, both contemporary and historical, will thrill you. The Gallery is just a short walk to Trafalgar Square.
4. Before leaving the Piazza, be sure to check out the London Transport Museum that showcases the then-and-now of one of the world’s oldest public transportations systems.
5. Keep the shopping going down St. Martin’s Lane to the courtyard, a calm square that offers a bit of everything for everyone. This is also a great place to relax and pamper yourself at a luxury day spa.
6. Cruise down Neal Street and into Neal’s Yard, a quaint little alley tucked away in Covent Garden, brimming with unique health and wellness shops.
7. Visit Seven Dials’ historic intersection of seven streets for even more retail and gourmet treasures. From quirky jewelry and unusual shoes to sweet and yummy treats. Each of the seven “dials” offers its own unique fare.
8. Dining for all cultures, occasions, and budgets can be found right here in Covent Garden:
- Clos Maggiore for Fine Dining: Fabulous French cuisine in an elegant, romantic ambience. Request the conservatory when making your reservation and hope it’s available!
- Rock & Sole Plaice for London’s most authentic fish and chips. Truly an “English experience.”
- Lowlander: Great choice before or after the theatre with fabulous vegetarian choices, “best beer” in a casual atmosphere.
- Blend and Press for healthy organic juices, visit this unique shop tucked away in Neal’s Yard.
- La Gelateria for the quaint little gelato shop where you can watch this tasty treat being created. The charming Italian owners share samples to help you make the most difficult decision you might make that day–which ones to choose! Once you visit, you will find yourself wandering past again and again. It is certainly the perfect daily indulgence.
- B Bakery serves afternoon tea, and hot drinks have unlimited refills (they don’t tell you-but they are) The savoury and sweet foods are perfect complements. Make a reservation to be assured of a table.
- Homeslice: Tucked away in Neal’s Yard, if you like authentic wood-fire pizza START HERE. You will find excuses to walk past here just to grab another slice that is ready and waiting. Choose a whole thin crust pizza to share or choose from the slices of the day. You won’t regret this decision!
- St. Martin-in-the-Fields Cafe in the Crypt: Dining on a budget, with high menu and service reviews. The arched ceilings create an unforgettable ambiance and the traditional British comfort food is delicious. Located in Trafalgar Square opposite the National Gallery, in the basement of St Martin’s church.
Covent Garden is so accessible by bus or tube. If you are going to the theatre, you will most likely find yourself here. Go early and enjoy strolling through this bustling, romantic, and LONDON at-her-best area that will linger in your memory long after returning home. ENJOY!